We want to provide college students with more than just a summer job. We want to more formally expose them to the civil engineering field and provide them with access to our firm’s leadership.
Tom Nussrallah, PE
President & COO
E&A has always offered summer internships. In 2016, however, we rolled out a new, more formal program that added structure and value beyond just the job.
In addition to gaining exposure to the day-to-day workings of the departments that they support and the roles that these groups play in our industry, E&A Interns are provided some structured activities such as:
Map Reading & AutoCAD Civil 3D – Our Interns learn the essentials of reading engineering plans and are provided exposure to engineering software such as AutoCAD Civil 3D
Leadership Interviews – Our Interns have an opportunity to interview internal leaders about their backgrounds, experience and advice
Exploration Series – Our Interns learn about other professionals at E&A to gain a perspective beyond their own role & experience
The program culminates with presentations by the Interns on highlights from their time at E&A, opportunities for improvement of the intern program and lessons learned.
This short article gives an overview of the program, focusing on E&A’s 2017 intern group.
The intern program is intended to evolve each year, giving returning interns a new and valuable experience each time. Look for these positions on our career site during the fall semester.
Internships may be available in the following areas:
- Civil Engineering – learning the basics of engineering design while working with AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or Microstation
- Environmental Services – environmental compliance in a variety of industries
- Land Surveying – focus is on teamwork in the field while collecting data for both engineering designs and legal documents
- Construction Administration – observing and reporting on construction activities
- SID Maintenance – supporting and coordinating a variety of neighborhood improvement projects
E&A’s Internship Program is designed to provide college students real-life working experience and to expose our professionals to the talent of the future. The Program also provides our professionals with a chance to coach those who will help to shape tomorrow’s industry workforce, whether at E&A or elsewhere.
During an E&A Internship, you will…
- Gain exposure to daily operations in your department
- Participate in programs designed to widen your understanding of the industry
- Network with members of the company and industry
- Develop soft skills & practical work skills